api.met.no/weatherapi is an interface to a selection of data produced by MET Norway.
The data are available for use under a Creative Commons license.
See also separate conditions for use of the service.
All regular users of the API are strongly recommended to subscribe to our
API-users mailing list
as this is the only channel on which we will communicate planned changes outside
the API itself (see the archives
for past notifications).
For operational status and maintenance notifications, see status.met.no
(please bookmark in case there is a problem with the site).
For information on available data and how to access them, please
refer to the weatherapi
documentation. For a list of changes since version 2,
see the Release Notes for v.3.
Data owned by other institutions than MET Norway
is not available for unrestricted public use. This is
specified in the documentation of each product. Examples of such
products are the Nordic radar images and some satellite images.
Refer to the documentation of each product.
- Airqualityforecast 0.1
- Airqualityforecast - Forecast of air-quality for locations in Norway
- ExtremesWWC 1.2
- ExtremesWWC - The Wettest, Warmest and Coldest places
- Forestfireindex 1.1
- ForestfireIndex - Reporting danger level of forest fires.
- Geosatellite 1.4
- Geosatellite - Images from geostationary satellites
- Gribfiles 1.1
- Gribfiles - Serve grib files on the coast from Oslo and Western Norway
- Icemap 1.0
- Icemap - Maps as images showing current ice conditions in the arctic regions.
- Lightning 1.0
- Lightning - lightning data delivered in UALF
- Locationforecast 1.9
- Locationforecast - Weather forecast for a specified place
- LocationforecastLTS 1.3
- LocationforecastLTS - Weather forecast for a specified place, long term support.
- MetAlerts 1.1
- MetAlerts - Weather alerts from the Norwegian Meteorological Institute
- Metgc 1.0
- Metgc - Deliver meteorological forecast data in METGC format for defined areas
- Metgm 1.0
- Metgm - Deliver meteorological forecast data in METGM format for defined areas
- NLAroutes 1.0
- NLAroutes - Vertical cross sections for flight routes
- Nowcast 0.9
- Nowcast - Nowcast for a specified place.
- Oceanforecast 0.9
- Oceanforecast - Ocean forecast for a specified place
- Polarsatellite 1.1
- Polarsatellite - Images from satellites in polar orbit
- Probabilityforecast 1.1
- Probabilityforecast - Probability forecast for a specified place
- Radar 1.5
- Radar - Radar images from various locations
- Radarlightning 1.1
- Radarlightning - Radar images from various locations
- Routeforecast 1.0
- Routeforecast - Maps and vertical cross sections for offshore flight routes
- Sigmets 1.0
- Sigmets - Get sigmets and airmets for Norway
- Spotwind 1.0
- Spotwinds - Spotwinds in XML
- Subjectiveforecast 1.0
- Subjectiveforecast - Forecasts and analyses charts from the meteorologist
- Sunrise 2.0
- Sunrise - Calculate sun/moon rise/set for a given place
- Tafmetar 1.0
- Tafmetar - Receive Taf/Metar from airports
- Textforecast 2.0
- Textforecast - Textual weather forecast for Norwegian land and sea areas
- Tidalwater 1.1
- Tidalwater - Tidal water information
- Turbulence 1.1
- Turbulence - Turbulence prognosis
- UVforecast 1.0
- UVforecast - A prognosis of UV radiation
- Upperwindweather 1.1
- Upperwindweather - Upperlevel wind and weather charts
- VerticalProfile 1.1
- Verticalprofile - Vertical profiles of wind and weather
- Volcanicashforecast 0.1
- Volcanicashforecast - Norwegian national volcanic ash products including forecast
- Weathericon 1.1
- Weathericon - deliver weather icons.
We will shortly launching some new products, mainly of interest for
Norwegian users. As described earlier, some obsolete products will also be
We have started the process of cleaning up the old text forecasts, with a
new XML format (which can be validated), more consistent data structure and
clearly defined areas. All of new forecasts share the same format and
- coast_en, coast_no
- seabank_en, seabank_no, seabank_wmo
- seahigh_en, seahigh_no, seahigh_wmo
To aid in transition from textlocation, all areas are now identified with an
id, which can be used to look up the corresponding geographical coordinate
polygon. These files can be downloaded from the /areas endpoint, but we hope
eventually to be able to include them directly in the forecast.
We have removed the "land" product (use "landoverview in 2.0) as well as
"seaoslofjord" (use "coast_no" and "seabank_no" in 2.0).
For some time we have been working on air quality forecasts in cooperation
with several other public services. This is expected to go out of beta soon.
This is a new image service for aviation, primarily offshore helicopter flights.
This product will expire March 15th. Please use the "landoverview" product
in textforecast along with the area files.
This service hasn't delivered any data for months and will expire on March 15th.
This product will expire on April 1st, when we are turning off the WSklima service.
There might be a similar service on frost.met.no in the future.
As mentioned earlier we are discontinuing some little used
products from api.met.no, here is a complete list:
On February 1st we will remove the following products from the
the route_fbno products (these will still be available for professional
users via NAIS which everybody seem to use anyway)
the landday/long, seabankday1 and metkyst products (which are used to
generate more comprehensive forecasts)
the iga_fbno43, easter and miskred products (which haven't been produced for years)
We have checked the logs and all of these have little or no traffic, so we
don't expect them to be missed. This is the full list of discontinued
easter, landday0, landday1, landday2, iga_fbno43, landlong, metkyst0,
metkyst1, miskred_north, miskred_south, route_fbno69, route_fbno70,
route_fbno72, route_fbno74, route_fbno75, route_fbno76, route_fbno77,
route_fbno78, route_fbno79, route_fbno80, seabankday1.
Also, on March 1st the textlocation service will be discontinued. We will
also remove the "land" product from the textforecast service. There will be
another forecast product to replace those two products, details of which are
to follow later.
At the same time, the product "seaoslofjord" containing forecasts for
Skagerrak and for the Norwegian coast from the Swedish border to Hordaland
will be discontinued. Forecasts for Skagerrak can be found in the "seabank"
product, while forecasts for the complete Norwegian coastline can be found
in the "coast" product.
We will soon also remove the errornotifications service, which is no longer
producing any data. This will be replaced by specific status messages for
- Routeforecast: New products, back to beta: 2019-04-04
Type Wave has been replaced with a similar but more precise
product helicoptersignificantwaveheight (existing requests will be redirected).
In addition two other new products have been added, helicopterlightningobservations
Due to constantly changing requirements we have added back the beta status
for routeforecasts. Further changes may be expected, we do not recommend using
this service in production environments unless in cooperation with MET Norway.
We suggest subscribing to the Changelog RSS feed to be informed about further
- Volcanicashforecast: Version 0.1: 2019-03-27
- Sunrise: More data for version 2.0: 2019-03-14
moonposition is now repeated for every day in the interval, not just the
first day. We have also added a
phase attribute to
show the moon phase for each day, not just the first. Max days is now set to 15.
Since there are only additions to the existing format we assume keeping the
existing version is more convenient than bumping so that everyone will have
to modify their existing clients.
- Upperwindweather: New /status function, 2019-03-11
The new /status endpoint will now list all received files, as well as any
errors in transmission.
- Routeforecast: Version 1.0: 2019-03-01
New version released, with new products seasurfacetemperature and temperature2m.
No longer in beta status.
- Textforecast: New version 2.0, 2019-03-01
We are in the process of revamping all textforecast products, with a cleaner
XML format which can be validated and clearly defined areas. New products
will be launched on the 2.0 version after they have been migrated,
while the old products will be available for some time on 1.6.
So far the ocean, seabank and seahigh products have been upgraded to 2.0.
We have also launched a new landoverview product which will replace the
land and landmerge products, as well as the textlocation service.
We expect to discontinue 1.6 at the end of 2019, while removing disused products
(mainly aviation forecasts) continously in collaboration with existing users.
Other data sources at MET Norway
- Frost, API for observations and climate data
- THREDDS for model and research data, including sea and ice models
See free meteorological data on met.no
for a complete list of data services.
For questions regarding rights to and use of data, see our Licensing and Data Policy.
For technical questions, contact technical personnel.